Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hexic - Xbox Live Arcade





I'm not exactly sure how to review a puzzle game. How long do you have to play a puzzle game before you can review it? How do you review a game that you can't really beat? I'm not sure of the answer to either of those questions. I do however know that Hexic is a damn fun, addicting puzzle game that once I started playing I didn't want to put it down.

I think Hexic came with my Xbox 360 when I bought it. It's been sitting on my hard drive for about two and a half years now and not once have I ever bothered playing it. Hell, Hexic 2 was released in 2007 and I didn't even bother to play the first one despite the fact that I owned it. I wish I had discovered this game sooner because it's a hell of a fun time.

I'm not sure how to explain Hexic. You have a bunch of hexagons that are different colors and you can move them in a circle and you have to clump three of more of the same color together to clear them from the board. It's a very simple concept and frankly it's very fun. They throw obstacles in your way like bombs that you have to clear before the timer gets down to zero, which while it sounds easy can actually be very difficult. You can also make "flowers" which is a similar colored hexagons surrounding a middle, if you do this you get a special piece. Make those special pieces into a flower and you get a black pearl, get three black pearls clumped and you win your game. There's several different game types for you to choose from as well, that's just your normal game. There's also a timed version as well as a version that every round locks the pieces you didn't use the round before.

All and all the game is rather simplistic, but because of this it's easily accessible and fun. There's times where I started playing just thinking I was going to play one game, an hour later I've been sucked in and am still playing.

Hexic surprised me in how fun I would find it. It's a throughly enjoyable game that I find myself going back to when I have a spare few minutes. Check your Xbox and see if it's on the hard drive, it might have come free with it. You also occasionally see free promotions of the game as well. It's a really fun game and it's definitely worth giving a try.

Squid.

No comments:

Post a Comment