Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shadow Complex - Xbox Live Arcade





Yep, yet another XBLA game. About a year ago I bought Shadow Complex knowing almost nothing about it. I remember reading a review for it and hearing about its similarities (gameplay wise) to Metroid on NES. I didn't think much about it until a couple months later when I saw it on sale for half off. What the hell, it looked fun so I picked it up... and then proceeded to not play it for a year or so.

I was looking for a game last week and nothing was really peaking my interest. So I decided to look through my Arcade games. Shadow Complex, eh, why not.

The first half hour or so started out badly for me. I just couldn't get into the game. The aiming felt off, the controls felt a little awkward, and I wanted to see more of the screen... I wanted a more widescreen feel. A little more left and right.

Thankfully I continued playing because suddenly it all came together. It all made sense to me. Suddenly I was transported back to the fun I was having playing that NES classic so many years ago. I understood why they were often compared to each other. It feels like Metroid. Sure you can draw the obvious conclusion that it's because it has same type of gameplay, but it's more then this. It's the exploring. It's the realization that you can now open a door or enter a new area because of this brand new power up you just got.

Shadow Complex drew me in. I didn't want to just play this game. I wanted to play it and see everything. I wanted to see every secret room, I wanted to open every locked door, I wanted to play all of this game.

I can tell a game is good when I become a completionist. When I want to play all of a game I know it's a good game. There's a lot of games that are very good but that I don't feel like finding and doing everything. When you don't really want a game to end you know that it's a step up from the rest. That's Shadow Complex.

I had this game for a year at least and never bothered to play it. This is a damn shame. I spent twelve hours playing and beating Shadow Complex and I have to say it was an incredibly good time.

Go out and buy Shadow Complex. Especially if you enjoyed Metroid as a kid. Overall it's just a really fun game. It's a game you want to play. A game that you want to find everything. A game that knows you want to explore so it lets you. Seriously, do yourself a favor and don't miss out on this one.

Squid.

No comments:

Post a Comment