Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Contra - Review





Last night I beat Myst and was looking for something quick and fun to play. Then it hit me: Contra. I love Contra. It and Iron Tank were the first NES games that I owned. I also find Contra fascinating because while it's a pretty big series with games spanning almost all consoles since the NES, most people seemed to have only played the original. Hell, I'm a huge gamer and I think I've only played one other game in the series. But the general consensus on Contra is that it kicks ass.

And despite one major flaw, it does kick ass. What is that major flaw you ask? Well last night I sat down and beat Contra in 26 minutes... and I wasn't even really trying all that hard. Can you imagine if any company now released a game that was 26 minutes long? People would be up in arms. But you know what? Despite being only 26 minutes long, it was an awesome 26 minutes... hell it still is an awesome 26 minutes.

Contra is a game that will be cemented in history for one thing though. The Konami code. Contra wasn't the first game to use it (Gradius was in 1986) but I'll be damned if everyone remembers it from this game.

So you know what, if you haven't played Contra do so. It's a part of gaming history, and hell even if you don't like it, you only wasted 26 minutes of your life.

Squid.

No comments:

Post a Comment