Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Medal of Honor - Xbox 360





I absolutely love the Call of Duty franchise (as you'll find out in my next couple reviews). When I saw the new Medal of Honor in OXM a while back it struck me as a CoD clone. I had no problems with this, mostly because I sometimes enjoy the clones more then the original (see my Saints Row review). The release of Medal of Honor came and went, and I didn't really notice it's reviews so I wasn't sure how good or bad it was. It mostly flew under my radar.

About a month ago Medal of Honor went on sale for $10 on Amazon. My stance is that I'll try any game for $10... how bad could it be? While that has bit me in the ass a few times I generally stick by it. So I picked up Medal of Honor and I have to admit I was kind of excited about it.

Medal of Honor is a flat out Call of Duty clone. It might as well be called Medal of Honor: Call of Duty. I was expecting as much, but still it was pretty much a carbon copy of Call of Duty... but something was off. It didn't have the slick feel that Call of Duty has. It was like if Call of Duty was suddenly made by another developer, a developer who just wasn't up to par with Treyarch/Infinity Ward.

It's things like the AI being a bit wonky. Not overall horrible but just a little bit kooky here and there. Occasionally my AI teammates would just stand there staring at the enemies while they sat and shot me. It didn't happen always, but it happened just enough for me to notice it was happening. Or when you have two guys to snipe and your AI teammate says he'll take the one on the left... most the time I ended up killing both of them because the AI teammate was just too slow. Little things like that.

The game was fun, I enjoyed it. For $10 I got about five and half hours of enjoyment out of it. It wasn't on the same level as the Call of Duty series, but it did come close. At the end of the day I'll probably end up playing it again because I did have fun. If they release another Medal of Honor game in the same vein I'll probably also pick that up as well.

Medal of Honor is a slightly less polished Call of Duty game. It has the same feel, the same ambiance, and the same fast paced nature. It's not as good as the CoD franchise but it's certainly worth taking a look at.

Squid.

No comments:

Post a Comment